Banana pudding has been a beloved classic dessert for generations, but when it comes to iconic banana pudding, Magnolia Bakery in New York City often takes the cake. However, we’re about to share a secret that will change the way you think about banana pudding. We’ve got a homemade banana pudding recipe that not only rivals but surpasses Magnolia Bakery’s famous version. Get ready to indulge in a creamy, dreamy, and utterly irresistible dessert that will have you craving seconds.
For the pudding:
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1 box vanilla wafers (approximately 45 wafers)
For the whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Pudding:
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, flour, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and milk.
- Gradually add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients in the saucepan, whisking continuously to avoid lumps.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil (about 5-7 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Let the pudding cool for a few minutes.
- In a trifle dish or a serving bowl, start with a layer of vanilla wafers, followed by a layer of sliced bananas, and then a layer of pudding. Repeat until all ingredients are used, finishing with a layer of pudding on top.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap, ensuring that the plastic wrap touches the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight to allow the flavors to meld.
For the Whipped Cream:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Just before serving, spread the freshly whipped cream evenly over the chilled banana pudding.
- Optionally, garnish with extra banana slices or crushed vanilla wafers for an added touch of elegance.
- Serve and watch the smiles appear on your guests’ faces!
Why This Recipe Reigns Supreme:
- Homemade Goodness: Unlike store-bought versions, this recipe is made from scratch, ensuring the freshest, most authentic flavors.
- Balanced Sweetness: The homemade pudding strikes the perfect balance of sweetness, allowing the natural flavor of ripe bananas to shine.
- Layers of Flavor: By layering vanilla wafers, bananas, and pudding, you create a dessert with varying textures and tastes in every spoonful.
- Fluffy Whipped Cream: The homemade whipped cream adds a luscious, cloud-like topping that’s unbeatable.
So, there you have it! This banana pudding recipe is a game-changer, surpassing even the legendary Magnolia Bakery’s version. Whip it up for your next gathering or indulge in it as a delightful treat for yourself. Your taste buds will thank you for this creamy, dreamy, and utterly delicious dessert.